I do not know the original source for this recipe, but I do know that I have tweaked it from the original (amount of vanilla, and amount of cocoa/water mixture).
So here it is!
Dark Chocolate Ganache Cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cups + 2T all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, pour the boiling water over the cocoa powder. Set aside to cool.
- In a separate bowl, sift together dry ingredients.
- In mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar and blend until thoroughly combined.
- Add eggs one at a time until combined well.
- Add vanilla.
- To the mixing bowl, alternate adding flour mixture and cocoa mixture until just combined.
- Pour into a greased and floured pan (this amount makes a medium-sized bundt cake, or one cake pan.) If you want a layer cake, double the recipe.
- Bake for approx 25 minutes, or until cake springs back when gently touched.
- Bring to a gentle boil 1 cup heavy cream or half and half
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of broken up dark chocolate pieces. (Use a high quality dark chocolate that is around 60% cocoa for best results. This is IMPORTANT- some common brands of so-called dark chocolate will not work!)
- Allow to cool at room temperature, then pour over cooled cake. (For layer cake, put cooled ganache into your mixer with whisk and whip up into a more frosting-like consistency.)
|mmm, chocolate curls!|
|LJ: "I gonna eat this cake up, mommy" Me: "We have to wait until tonight for Ga-Ga's party!"|
|Her face, after I locked the cake in the laundry room...note the fork dropped on the floor in defeat!|
|Later that night- yummy!|