Saturday, October 1, 2011

Easy-ish and Healthier Chicken and Dumplings!

I love Chicken and Dumplings.  My husband, who is from Tennessee, loves "Chicken and Dumplin's".  Trust me, there is a difference!  I grew up eating my Granny's version, with big round balls of the biscuit dough.  He grew up with the dough rolled out and cut up into strips (like the kind at Cracker Barrel).  Also, mine was a little more like a thick soup, wheras in the South is is always a thicker gravy type sauce.  The picture below is more like my type (I ate all of my recent batch before taking a picture, oops!)
So, here is my easy and healthier recipe- I use a big sized crock pot!

You will need:
3-4 organic chicken breasts (the non-organic ones are huge, so if using those probably 2)
2 large boxes of organic chicken stock
carrots
celery
chard
large onion
herbs de provence
1.5 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1/4 cup milk (approx)
1 tsp baking powder
salt
pepper

Directions:
In crock pot on high, place chicken breasts, one box of stock, carrots, onion, and celery.  Stir in some herbes de provence and salt and pepper.  Let this cook on high for about 3 hours then shred chicken with two forks.
Add in the other box of stock and keep crock pot on high.  While this heats up, make your dumplings.

For dumplings:
Place flour, baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt in a bowl, and add in the COLD butter in tiny cubes.  Use a pastry blender or two forks to blend until the butter is rice-sized.  Then add milk a little at a time until it is a nice dough.  You might not need all that milk.  Knead the dough then tear it into little balls, roll in your hands, and drop in the crock pot.

Clean your chard well and tear into pieces.  Then drop this in the crock pot too.  The chard adds some good vitamins!
Allow to simmer on high in crock pot until dumplings are cooked, usually at least an hour.  Then serve!  YUM!!!
(If you want to make it pretty, you can garnish with parsley like in the picture)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Thanks so much! Please understand that I try my best to reply, but I am not always able to!