Monday, October 24, 2011

Dirty Laundry

How do you wash your laundry?  I have found that this is a controversial topic for some.  We choose to go the non-scented, fewest additives possible route at our house.  No fabric softener here!  We also have special needs because we use cloth diapers.  I do keep bleach up high in a cabinet for those times you just need it, but we use it rarely.  Here is a run-down of my laundry essentials.

1. Stain Removal
I know some love their Oxyclean, etc., but we rely on the good old fashioned Fels-Naptha bar.  My Grandma has always kept this handy, as well as my mom.  Now I do!  I just get the stain wet and rub the bar directly on it, but sometimes you need an old toothbrush to really work it in there.  Then wash, and voila!  My friend Kristin uses Fels-Naptha to make her own laundry detergent, but I am too lazy to do that, haha!  Here is a tutorial if you want to try it.
2. Cloth Diapers
For cloth diapers, it is important to use a soap that will not irritate your baby's skin, will not leave residue in the cloth, will rinse out really well, will not react with urine, etc.  There are several options out there and I have tried a lot of them.  We LOVE Rockin' Green.  They offer three types- one for hard water, one for soft water, and one in between called "Classic Rock".  We use Classic Rock and occasionally their "Funk Rock" as a refresher for our diapers.  I have tried a ton of detergents for cloth diapers, and this is hands down the best.  No wonder they have a cult following!  It's also okay for regular laundry, but we just use it on our diapers.
3. Delicates- lingerie, wool, cashmere, etc.
For my delicate laundry, I use Charlie's Soap. This soap is also okay for cloth diapers.  I like it for hand washing and it doesn't leave a scent or anything.  It's an old fashioned recipe too!
4. Regular Laundry
For my regular laundry (including baby clothing) I use an environmentally friendly detergent from COSTCO!!! Yes, they carry an in-house brand that is basically the same as the Seventh Generation detergent.  I love it, it's unscented and perfect for baby laundry too.  I just wash all our laundry together and this makes everyone happy.
And that's it!  Enjoy doing your laundry today :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Thanks so much! Please understand that I try my best to reply, but I am not always able to!