Thursday, December 13, 2012

Christmas Craft Night

Merry Christmas!!! 

Hello all!  It has been a while.  I told you that I was going to take it easy on blogging to focus on my two girls and I have stuck to it (by the way, my stinky little 9 month old is walking- WALKING!  Crazy!)  That doesn't mean I haven't been keeping busy up in my craft room, though!

I have been a sewing machine- I made a few Christmas outfits to make a little cash before the Holidays, I hosted my annual Christmas Craft Night (more on that below), I've been making a few gifts, and I have some Christmas dresses in the works for my girls and my niece.  Whew!  I could use about 100 hours alone up there to get it all done :)

Christmas Craft Night was a success this year! (Well, except for the tummy bug everyone came down with two days later...stupid viruses!) I've got it down to a science finally.  Updated guidelines:
-No more than 10 guests
-Have them each pitch in $5 instead of having them each bring a supply
-Have everyone bring a snack to share
-Only 3 easy, affordable projects

I provided all supplies (I spent more than $5 per person, but at least the $5 each helped!), some snacks, all drinks, and instructions.
This year's projects were:

Freezer Paper Stenciling on pillow covers (I sewed them all!)
Materials needed: fabric to stencil on, silhouettes of images printed in b/w, exacto knife fabric paint, sponge brush, freezer paper, and an iron. 
 Instructions:  Lay freezer paper over the image you choose.  Use an exacto knife to carefully cut out image.  Iron the freezer paper stencil onto the fabric (no steam and medium heat!)  Then paint lightly, allow to dry, and peel off freezer paper.  Then iron again to heat set the paint!  Voila!

Upcycled Jar Snow Globes
Materials:  clean empty glass jars (any type), liquid glycerin, white glitter, plastic snowflakes, tiny figurines (I raided the mini Christmas tree ornament aisle), hot glue
Instructions:  Glue figurines in the lid of the jar, being careful to keep them inside the seal area. (Otherwise your jar won't close!)  In the jar itself, place some glitter, snowflakes, a few drops of glycerin, and purified water.  Place lid on jar, and hot glue around the edge to be sure its sealed!  EASY!!!

Salt Dough Ornaments/Gift Tags
Materials Needed: Salt, flour, water, cookie cutters, and optional- foam Christmas stamps (found mine at Hobby Lobby)
Instructions- Stir together 1/2 cup salt, 1 cup flour, and 1/2 cup water.  Add food coloring if desired.  Roll out like cookies- about 1/2" thick.  Cut out shapes and use stamps for texture or design. (I used the snowflake stamp for these but also had a snowman, gift box, santa, etc.)  Bake at 225 degrees F until dried out, approximately 3 hours.  Then add glitter, paint, etc. to decorate! 
I had everyone bring their own home to bake or offered to bake them and deliver at another time.


Do you craft with your friends at Christmas?  If so, what are your favorite ones to make with a crowd?  I'm already gathering ideas for next year's party!!!
Have a fantastic Christmas and I hope to find time to blog a little more often, I really love sharing my ideas with you and hearing yours too!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for another informative site. Where else may I am getting that
    type of info written in such an ideal manner?
    I've a project that I am simply now operating on, and I've been
    on the look out for such info.

    my web site :: http://www.xxxvideofix.com

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments! Thanks so much! Please understand that I try my best to reply, but I am not always able to!