|"It looks like a mustache, right?" "Umm...sure honey!"|
|"Okay, get this action shot."|
|Behr Ultra in "Spring Stream"|
To make my Box Pleated Crib Skirt, you will need:
-About 1 1/2 yards of white muslin (for the part that will be under the mattress)
-About 2 yards of the main fabric (where I used the brown floral print)
-About 1 1/2 yards of the accent fabric (where I used the coral polka-dots)
-Coordinating thread (one spool should be plenty)
-Scissors, Rotary Cutter, Iron and Sewing Machine
(***ALWAYS wash, dry, and iron your fabric first! I allowed wiggle room for shrinking in the amounts above.***)
Cut the following from your fabric (Hint: Cotton tears really well! For those long measurements I let 'er rip, then I used my rotary cutter to do the shorter cut.)
-one piece 49" x 27"
-2 pieces 60" x 9.5"
-2 pieces 38" x9.5"
-2 pieces 60" x 5"
-2 pieces 38" x 5"
Okay, now let's put all that together!!! For this entire tutorial, use a 1/2" seam allowance.
1. With right sides facing, attach the trim to the main fabric lengthwise. (You can use a serger if you prefer.)
2. Iron your seams nice and flat! (If you used a serger, still do this!)
3. Zig-zag (or serge) around the perimiter of the whole piece. Do this as close to the edge as possible.
4. Mitre the bottom corners of the trim following the steps in the photos below.
|Fold corner in 1/2" and iron down.|
|Fold over the bottom hem 1/2" and iron.|
|Fold in the side hem 1/2" and iron.|
6. Make your box pleats (one per panel) following the instructions in the photos below. I wanted a very simple look- but if you want a series of box pleats, simply add 10" per pleat and go to town!
|Find the exact center and mark with a quilting marker or fabric pencil.|
|Measure and mark 5" on either side of the center.|
|Pinch the mark on the left, and fold over so that the mark touches the center mark. Be sure its lined up perfectly all the way to the bottom hem then iron. Repeat for the other side.|
|Pin, then baste in place 1/4" from the edge.|
***Please remember that this tutorial is my original work. It is intended for personal use only. Feel free to link directly to this post but please do not copy it. THANKS!!!***
Remember to become a follower- I will do another giveaway when I reach my current goal!!!