Have you ever had your identity stolen? My husband recently had his bank card hacked somehow, and thankfully we were able to get it taken care of. But it definitely was a scare! It got me wondering just how safe we were when it comes to our identity. I can only imagine how horrible it would be to deal with other forms of identity theft. In this day and age of technology being everywhere, how can you be sure you're protected?
Did you know...
• Households earning $100k + per year have the highest identity fraud rate at 7.4%
• The average cost per person of having identities stolen is $1,513
• 11.6 million adults were victims of identity fraud in 2011 and a total of $18 billion was lost.
Alarming stats for social media/ smartphone users that have experience identity fraud:
• 6.6% of victims are smartphone owners
• 6.8% of victims are social media users who click on the applications
• 8.2% of victims are social media users who have “checked in” using their smartphone GPS
• 10.1% of victims are LinkedIn users
My family fits a lot of these categories, ouch!
I checked out Lifelock.com and it looks like they can offer peace of mind. They have what they call 5 points of protection- Monitoring your identity, Scanning for identity threats, Responding to identity theft, a Guarantee of their services, and Tracking of your credit score. These are the benefits your get if you sign up for their services.
They also provide a site to see how safe your password is- click below!
As you see, Lifelock could be a very valuable way to protect your family. Have you used Lifelock? Have you had your identity stolen? Please share your experiences! Also, check out the Lifelock Facebook page. LifeLock on Facebook