Friday, July 15, 2011
So here is my list of ideas, some of them I have a recipe link or two to go with them.
1. The simple way- slice, then saute with olive oil, or be lazy and nuke in the micorowave.
2. Zucchini "pasta": Get out your veggie peeler and peel it into a bunch of strips. Salt them down and let them sit for a while, then briefly saute with olive oil and halved cherry tomatoes. Then top with freshly grated parmesan. One of my most favorite summer dishes!!! I think this is the original recipe I used was from Rachael Ray, but it is no longer on the website. You could also add in some high-quality bacon to give a flavorful (but fatty) boost.
3. Add sheredded zucchini to: soups, pastas, quiches, frittatas, omelets, meatloaf, meatballs, turkey burgers, or hide in your kids mac n cheese!
4. Zucchini cake/cupcakes- Bake your favorite zucchini bread recipe then top with cream cheese icing, yummy!!! Or use a recipe like this one: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/zucchini-cake-i/detail.aspx
5. Zucchini lasagna- replace your noodles with large slices of zucchini- I would salt them and set aside for a few minutes to get some water out of it, then brown both sides with oil in a pan first to boost flavor. I've also done this with eggplant. Here is a recipe if you are a recipe kinda person! http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/no-noodle-zucchini-lasagna/detail.aspx
6. Zucchini baby food- When LJ was a little baby, she loved some smashed up zucchini with a little parmesan cheese. You can freeze the extras in ice cube trays so you have perfect portions for your little one.
7. Zucchini boats- cut a v-shaped slit down the length of an entire zucchini, then use a spoon to take out some of the middle. Stuff with whatever- meat mixture, cheeses, etc. then wrap in foil and bake! Yummy! I do have an idea about zucchini cups, but I think it might get messy. But if you have a big one, you could cut it into several cylindars and scoop out a cup to fill...I just don't know if the bottom of it would get to watery with no skin there. Looks like I might be trying this tonight!
8. Zucchini-kebabs. Self-explanatory. Although I would suggest adding other veggies as well, duh.
9. Zucchini pancakes!!!! I am making these on Sunday for my family. Just make your regular old pancake recipe, leave out about 1/8 cup of the milk (the zucchini is a bit watery) then toss in some zucchini and some cinnamon. Nutritious (before all the butter and syrup) and delicious!
10. Zucchini latkes- shred some potato, some zucchini, and some onion. Mix together with some flour and egg and a pinch or two of salt. Form into tiny latkes and thow 'em in the frying pan with a little olive oil. Brown them on both sides and serve with some creme fraiche or sour cream! This would be great at a brunch.
Hopefully I have helped you with some good zucchini ideas! Get cookin' and send me your good ideas, I would love some more! Now off to my giant shredded-zucchini filled Ikea zip top baggie...