Thursday, May 24, 2012

Fresh Strawberry Jam

I asked my mom for her canning stuff about a year ago and never found time to use it.  BUT, we picked Strawberries this week at a local U-pick farm and I decided to make some yummy jam!

This was a great first time canning project as it is easy to make and the pressure cooker is not needed (just boiling for jam.)
I followed the recipe inside the label of the Ball brand pectin.  I used the lower sugar kind- it gives recipes for using no sugar or for using a smaller amount.  I did about 1/2 cup sugar for each 16oz of jam and it is plenty sweet.  I wouldn't want it any sweeter!
Did I mention its a bit messy???

Basically, you mash up your berries, then you blend in pectin, water, and sugar. You let it boil for about a minute, put it into hot jars, place the lids on and boil completely covered in water for about 10 minutes.  EASY! 

And they look so cute for gift-giving when you cut out a square of vintage-y fabric with your pinking shears and put it in the lid.

2 comments:

I love your comments! Thanks so much! Please understand that I try my best to reply, but I am not always able to!