Sunday, February 26, 2012

Healthy and Yummy Smoothie Recipe

I love smoothies- they are an easy and tasty way to squeeze in some extra nutrition.  The best part is, I make mine different every time based on the ingredients I have available.  This gives my body some variety vitamin-wise, and helps me use up stuff in my fridge!
mmmm, frothy!

Now, I know the green color might turn you off a bit.  It is kinda weird!  But I promise you it doesn't TASTE green :)  When LJ drinks it she calls it ice cream!

So what do you put in a smoothie?

A MILK
This can be cow's milk, goat milk, soy milk, almond milk...whatever you fancy.  You could even do some yogurt.
A GREEN OR TWO
The best "starter" green is raw spinach since you probably already eat that sometimes.  I like to use kale.  Today I used a purple kale but it still looks green when all ground up.  Using a variety of greens can give you a lot of healthy, fresh vitamins!
OTHER VEGGIES??? 
Carrots are always good because they are sweet.  Don't add any spicy veggies or it will not taste good!
SOME FRUIT
The fruit really makes it taste good and sweet.  I like bananas because they make it smoother and creamier.  I also added an apple today.  Pineapple is really yummy in a smoothie if you have one.
SWEETENER???
This is up to you.  A bit of honey or maple syrup can add the right touch if you just don't think its sweet enough.
EXTRA FLAVORS
Vanilla extract (the real stuff), cinnamon, fresh grated ginger...use your imagination/mood to guide you!
PROTEIN
If you need extra protein in your diet or are using this as a meal, I would suggest adding some protein powder or plain silken tofu.  If you want to be a little indulgent, try the chocolate or vanilla silken tofu.  It is a liquid-y tofu that is like a dessert! Or you could add a nut butter- if you do this I would stick to fruits that you think taste good with peanut butter.  For example, I would not do a kiwi with it!

Some of my ingredients for today!
Be sure to wash all of your ingredients well, since you will be eating this raw.  It is also a good idea to use organic whenever possible.  We are lucky to have a lot of organic produce available where we live.  I even use a home delivery service that actually SAVES me money!  (Green B.E.A.N. Delivery)  Check them out- they are slowly expanding over the Midwest if you are in the area. (I am not spokesperson, just a fan!)

Throw in some ice cubes and blend on the highest setting of your blender until smooth and frothy.  You can keep the extra in your fridge to drink throughout the day, but be sure to give it a good stir first.  I personally don't keep mine overnight, I think it should be eaten the day of.

Enjoy your smoothies and comment below if you come up with any awesome combos that I should try!

Remember to please become a follower so I can reach my next goal and do another GIVEAWAY!!!

1 comment:

I love your comments! Thanks so much! Please understand that I try my best to reply, but I am not always able to!