Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Beets,please!

I really loved my mom's sweet pickled beets as a kid.  At some point she stopped making them, but when I saw some nice looking beets at the farmer's market this weekend I was inspired to make them for my daughter!
I looked up several recipes online, and none of them were just perfect for me, so I kinda just winged it.



LJ's Sweet Pickled Beets:
1. Take three nice sized beets and clean them.  Cut off the top (you can find recipes for the beet greens too!)
2. Boil the beets until fork-tender.
3.  Under cool running water, use your hands to get the skin off (it will come off really easily)
4.  In a regular Mason jar, place about 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 TBSP salt, 1/2 TBSP mustard seeds, and 1 tsp peppercorns.  Shake it with the lid on.
5. Slice your beets about 1/4" thick and put in the jar, being sure to move it around so they are all covered.
6.  Wait at least one hour to serve, but I like to wait one day.  Keep them in the fridge!

Serve in your salad, with cottage cheese, or even on a sandwich.  They are tangy and sweet and beautiful and good for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Thanks so much! Please understand that I try my best to reply, but I am not always able to!